Brahmos, the world-class weapon with multi-platform, multi-mission role is now capable of being launched from Land, Sea and Air, completing the tactical cruise missile triad for India.
India successfully test-fired the world’s most potent supersonic tactical weapon, BrahMos, from its frontline fighter aircraft, the Su 30 MKI.
Here are 8 Facts you did not know about BrahMos, The World's Fastest Cruise Missile:
- BrahMos is a joint venture of India and Russia who have together formed BrahMos Aerospace Private Limited
- The missile is named after two rivers, the Brahmaputra of India and the Moskva of Russia
- The BrahMos missiles are the fastest cruise missiles in operation in the world
- It the capability of attacking surface targets by flying as low as 10 meters in altitude
- The supersonic missile is capable of carrying conventional warheads of up to 300 kg for a range of 290 km
- BrahMos is four times faster and is twice as heavier than US' Tomahawk missile
- BrahMos Aerospace is also working to develop the air as well as the submarine launch version of the missile system
- India and Russia intend to make 2,000 BrahMos supersonic cruise missiles over the next 10 years