Smoky drinks containing liquid nitrogen (Source: Getty Images)
Smoky drinks containing liquid nitrogen (Source: Getty Images)

Casual Drinking Maybe Fun... Until It Backfires

Team Republic |

It has emerged that a 30-year-old Delhi man perforated his stomach after gulping liquid nitrogen that was present in his cocktail. The incident, which took place two months back, ruptured the man’s stomach necessitating emergency surgery.

The victim drank what would surely have been an expensive cocktail with white gas billowing from it. Not realising that the drink was to be consumed after the gas had dissipated, he downed it at once. Extreme pain, abdomen swelling and breathlessness followed.

The man was rushed to a hospital in Gurgaon where the doctors took him to surgery and found that there was a huge hole in his stomach which they described as being “open like a book”. His stomach was abnormally swollen and his heart rate, blood pressure, and oxygen saturation were all haywire, doctors said. They also noticed that his lactic acid level was extremely high which meant he had low oxygen in his body. Doctors explained that liquid nitrogen expands at room temperature and since there was no escape route for the gas after consumption, it perforated the stomach.

Under normal circumstances, the doctors would stitch up the open part of the stomach with the parts that are still intact. However, in this case, the doctors were forced to use parts of the intestine to repair the gaping hole.

After his surgery, the man had to be kept on a ventilator for three days. but eventually, he recuperated.

DO NOT MISS