Rs 100 coins will be a reality soon. The Ministry of Finance, while releasing a notification, has announced that Rs 100 coins will be introduced to commemorate the birth centenary of Dr MG Ramachandran. New Rs. 5 coins will also be issued to mark the birth centenary of the late AIADMK founder, the notification added.
"The coins of the denominations (Rs. 100 and Rs. 5) shall also be coined at the Mint for issue under the authority of the Central Government to commemorate the occasion of Dr M G Ramachandran birth centenary," the notification said.
Marudur Gopalan Ramachandran, popularly known as MGR, was an Indian actor, filmmaker and politician who served as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu for ten years between 1977 and 1987.
ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE Rs 100 COIN:
- The diameter of the coin will be 44 millimeter.
- The weight of the coin will be 35 grams.
- The metal composition of the coin will be-- Silver - 50 per cent; Copper - 40 per cent; Nickel - 5 per cent; Zinc - 5 per cent
- The face of the coin shall bear the Lion Capitol in the centre with the legend ‘Satyameva Jayate’ inscribed below.
- Left periphery of the coin shall be flanked with the word ‘Bharat’ in Devanagari script and on the right periphery with the word ‘INDIA’ in English.
- The face of the coin shall bear the portrait of Dr MG Ramachandran in the centre, with inscription, “Dr MG Ramachandran Janm Shatabdi” in Devnagari on upper periphery and "DR. M. G. RAMACHANDRAN BIRTH CENTENARY” in English on the lower periphery of the coin.
- The year “1917-2017” in international numeral shall be flanked below the portrait of Dr. M. G. Ramachandran.